Thursday, March 26, 2009

How to improve my cello skill??

i know how to play violin and piano too so i can read music and i%26#039;m good at it. do you have any suggestions about improving my cello skills? actually i want to do it on my own without any lessons, etc. so is there any websites or books you can suggest???
How to improve my cello skill??
A word of caution for you... You must eventually pick either the violin or the cello. At the beginner level it%26#039;s still ok, but the techniques for the violin and cello are ultimately contradictory in nature.





I was the principal cellist of my high school string orchestra. My stand partner learned both the cello and the violin, and she was technically very weak - she would apply violin technique (wrongly) to the cello, such as wrapping the thumb around the neck.





For a start, always remember the fundamental differences:





Left fingers


Cello: perpendicular to string


Violin: at an angle to string





Shape of left hand


Cello: C shape


Violin: V shape (neck resting on crook of your thumb)





Left thumb


Cello: behind neck


Violin: on other side of neck





Bow


Cello: more weight needed on the bow arm (this comes from the elbow)


Violin: more horizontal movement, bow held at a steeper angle than cello





Practising would be the same for both instruments. Techniques which apply to the violin (eg. slow practice, taking a fast passage in strange rhythms) also apply to the cello.
How to improve my cello skill??
I agree with the poster above. I%26#039;m learning the violin right now and I have to throw out everythign I know about the cello in order to do so. yes, they%26#039;re both strings, but no, you can%26#039;t use one to help the other. Not really. They%26#039;re unique instruments that require entirely different attentions. If you%26#039;re going to do both you%26#039;ll have to set aside time to do both. My friends who play violin and viola won%26#039;t play viola on the day they have to perform on violin. And they are more similar than violin and cello.





I%26#039;ve taken a look at the teachers online. They are less than extraordinary let me tell you. Find a student teacher at a university. They%26#039;re cheap and they can get you started properly.





~Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment